Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Post for Approximately Four People

Saint Mike gifted me with an extra 1 1/2 hours of sleep this morning, which is worth a million bucks. The downside is that I feel discombobulated since it meant I didn't have much time to hang out with HR before I had to get to work, and also because that hard post-sleep sleep is a difficult thing from which to recover. Two cups of coffee in, and I'm still looking for my groove. Gonna have to call in the big guns I guess: a third cup.

Extra sleep is a rare and serious commodity, though and Mikey, I owe you big for it. HR, we'll settle up when you're a parent (if you choose to have kids someday) or in the form of an airhorn blaring twice during the night and at 6 a.m. when you're full grown. I didn't think I was the type to hold grudges, but here we are.

Dance corner: like I said the last time I spoke of it, I'm really, really down with ABDC this year. The talent is uneven but what's there is shockingly good. And I have really, really come around to D-Trix as a judge. He's grown so much since he came onto the scene as a dancer, his critiques have gotten so sharp and helpful and he's dropped most of his annoying clowning. It's funny I can talk about someone who is known professionally by the name "D-Trix" and think that's totally fine. Bear with me because it's gonna get worse.

The last episode, which I just watched last night, was so ballsy because the judges pulled rank and kept the both crews up for elimination on the grounds that they gave the best performances of the night. I totally agree with this. They were both so great, and outshined every one of the safe crews. I still root for Mos Wanted Crew, but they seem to have peaked early and at this point I'm pulling for the criminally underrated Fanny Pak. Also RNG is showing themselves to be a real force - this group of teenagers is so precise and energetic, they've been killing the challenges. I thought nothing of them in early shows, but they have taken it to the proving ground. Like this dance, which won me over:



It's important that I never listen to them talk because I don't need to know about people who weren't alive when the Roger Rabbit was a thing. They KILT it, though. Proud of those guys, and of the judges for rocking the boat to give them another chance. How things that some people don't give a crap about can be so exciting to some people (me) is amazing.

"So You Think You Can Dance" starts Thursday, and I hear tell they're doing away with the results show this year which is pretty great because it will cut so much filler. We'll miss out on the group routines which breaks my heart a bit, but it's all for the greater good, i.e., people who don't want to see rehashing and  lip-syncing and stupid question-and-answer segments that pad an hour of non-dance-focused programming.

I've already lost everyone by now so I might as well go all the way. Here's a blast from the past. Interesting fact: Mellow Man Ace is the brother of Sen Dog from Cypress Hill. Now you can't say I never taught you anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment