Monday, May 21, 2012

The Beauty in Every Age

Summertime, and the livin's easy... kinda. I mean, it's not summer yet, thank goodness (I'm not ready for the full-on heat), but it was a super wonderful spring weekend that allowed for lots of outside time, and lots of just haaaangin' out. Which I realize is a bit of a science with a little one. I didn't know this before having one.

The first warm weather season we had HR, he was brand new, and it felt like it was 100 degrees and humid from the day we got home from the hospital until November. That's an exaggeration, but barely. So that was not idyllic, not a bit like the dreamy, gentle-breeze-douche-commercial vision I had for my maternity leave. Last summer was a bit more temperate, but there was always the matter of constant sunscreen application and hat-wrangling and tick bites and an inability on my boy's part to be chill for very long periods of time. I know that things like the sun and bugs won't go away, but with time, as "they" told me it would, the overall picture has changed and, based on the comings and goings of this past weekend, I have high hopes for lots of al fresco enjoyment this late spring and summer.

Now that HR is fully mobile (though won't turn down a chance to be carried-- he'll walk a bit, then hold up his arms and say, "lazy") and actively engaged and inquisitive about nature, with the added bonus of being interested in relating to other kids, being outside shooting the breeze with friends for hours on a lovely day is proving to be about as easy and fun as it should be. Saturday I spent a significant portion of the afternoon at our friends' casual outdoor shindig and my kid was happy as a two-year-old can be, running about, chasing cats and dogs, making mild mischief with the sweet and adorable toddler-of-the-house, and though it'll be years (if ever) before I turn off my constant Mama Monitor, I got to talk to people I haven't seen in ages and truly relax while he did his thing.

Also, they had pizza which allowed me to keep on hangin' through dinnertime. I love it when a dare to dream pays off.

Anyway, it's not so much of an outdoor day today, but I am going to savor every second of what we get, when we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment