Monday, January 2, 2012

Mas. Por Favor.

Like I said, I don't make resolutions. But I do get caught up in the newness of the year, the promise, and it inspires me to get excited about things. So here's a list of... more things. Because there are things I'm already doing that I want to make a point to do more in 2012 and beyond.

-Drink more champagne. This one occurred to me on New Year's Eve. I love champagne, but I rarely drink it, outside of super special occasions. So, MORE.

-More running. Mike and I are having quite the honeymoon period with the new treadmill, and I think I'm just now reclaiming my stride on it. I'm in no way planning to be the psycho I used to be in my before-baby life, my life now and clamoring mama's boy don't allow for more than 30 minutes at a time as it is, but if I can keep up with an average of four runs per week, I'll be feeling just right.

-More writing! Not just quantity wise, but in terms of content. I need to put in the time to write more thoughtful entries that aren't just dashed off "watch this space" boringness. I feel like real writing has been especially lacking here. More commitment to the work-in-progress, of course, for heaven's sake. But in general just more. No excuses.

-More grown-up friend time. Both combined parent-and-kid dates and actually-get-a-babysitter dates. Friendships don't tend themselves, and I know this, but I've let myself get caught up in the every-dayness of the every day. This goes for my marriage as well, especially since he's a stay-at-home dad, it's easy to take my husband for granted and though I know he knows I love and appreciate him, I need to make sure he's more of a priority. It's just a good idea in general.

-More taking advantage of what's available to me. We're pretty great at being city dwellers, but we've been members of the Museum of Fine Arts for years, and we get there, like, once a year if we're lucky? So more. More exploring and visiting and trying out the neighborhood Zumba class and hitting up this restaurant and taking HR to mommy and me yoga when he turns two. Oh christ, this year he turns two. Which brings me to...

-More relaxed, go-with-the-flow living with this dude.


It's not like I'm ever going to stop obsessing about my child in one way or another, but I realize his babyhood is almost all used up and if I'm spending more energy worrying about this or that little thing (like, remember how crazed I was about breastfeeding and that's already been over for nearly a year?), I'm going to look back and realize I forgot to enjoy it. That would be egregious. So now that we're feeling like maybe we've got the hang of the basics of parenting, it's time to really savor the piece of work he's become.

MORE is my philosophy, my rally cry for 2012. Do YOU want more?

No comments:

Post a Comment