Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lies Like a Rug

I'm all jacked up on endorphins and caffeine, and I'm feeling so good I've decided it's ok to break the promise I made like two days ago and talk about sleep. I am an untrustworthy narrator, get used to it.

It only took two nights of concerted effort, and HR is back to putting himself down peacefully at bedtime. EXCELSIOR. He's still not sleeping all the way through the night, please, but he's sleeping a lot longer before his first official wake-up and I am in no position to complain. It's funny how when we first got him "trained" he used to regularly sleep all the way through until 5, and in my brain that wasn't even good enough at the time. Then everything went haywire and I was begging him to stay down until even midnight. Ah, lowered expectations: the key to true happiness. Kids are geniuses at getting you to operate under barely-survivable conditions and think it's perfectly OK. Call it Stockholm Syndrome, whatever, we're all getting sleep, we're all good.

As of this morning I left my tiny captor having a staring contest with his daddy and it's nasty out but we don't have any snow to shovel and after tomorrow it's a long weekend and I hope that everyone will have but a moment of joy and appreciation this deep and satisfying before the day is over.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing to me that babies are universally, diametrically opposed to letting their parents sleep. Let me know if you start hating your Ikea furniture and listening to "Where is my mind?" on repeat...

    ReplyDelete