Wednesday, June 8, 2011

You Two Look Like a Couple of Boobies

HR is fully weaned now. It's been just over a week since our last nursing session. I stepped down gradually, dropping a feeding every couple of days until we were finally ready to end that last nighttime nursing. Ok fine, he was ready. I'm not going to lie: I miss it. I am sentimental about it for some reason. My kid doesn't seem fazed - as long as he gets his milk, he doesn't care about the vehicle. Well he sort of cares that it has a nipple - he's not interested in taking anything besides water from a sippy cup. That's our next big hurdle. Anyway, Mr. Pants still half-heartedly  paws at my chest every so often when I'm wearing something low cut, but I think he's already forgotten that there used to be a different way that we did things. He hasn't shed a tear over it. And we still have a very nice nighttime ritual that includes one last bottle feeding instead of breastfeeding. Overall, aside from the odd hiccup like the scream fest of two nights ago, bedtimes are generally easy and peaceful now. I'm most appreciative of this and try not to take it for granted.

Putting aside the emotional factor of no longer being a food source for my child, I'm not physically adjusting to the transition as easily as I had hoped. I thought I had taken the weaning process slowly enough to avoid this sort of thing, but this many days later the former milk dispensing parts of me are sort of... lumpy and uncomfortable. I guess warm compresses and (please, no) cabbage leaves are in my future? If you don't know what any of this means, good for you. I'm just hoping that this weekend I don't accidentally enact what could be a Bridesmaids outtake wherein the maid of honor is dropping cole slaw fixins from her bra left and right during the bachelorette party. I guess it would make it memorable though, right?

The depths of my awesomeness have yet to be plumbed. Um. Here's a song I associate with the summer of 1995.



For the record, I don't love U2. But this is a great song, much better than the movie on whose soundtrack it appeared. That summer it came out was a life-changer for me. I'll tell you about it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment