Thursday, June 16, 2011

Burning in Me

Well good for the Bruins. Aside from my obsession with Paul-Kariya-era UMaine, I don't follow hockey. Sure I got caught up in playoff fever, but this win isn't for people like me. I'm just happy for the city and for the longtime fans. One thing that appeals to me about hockey is how, though there is some serious violence taking place on the ice, there's so much emphasis on sportsmanship and that at the end of games the two teams interact. The fans, well, sorry about your city Vancouver. I was half expecting that madness to happen here, even with the victory. Sports rioting is one of those things about life I will just never understand.

HR has some rioting going on in his mouth courtesy of at least two teeth cutting through at the same time. He had a rough go of it yesterday, hopefully we'll be through the worst by tomorrow, but I just feel so bad for him when he's hurting. Poor buddy.

*SYTYCD Talk - the competition begins! Like everyone else, I was smitten with the Melanie/Marko Travis Wall contemporary number. Talk about your planets aligning in a dance piece. I've been rooting for Melanie from the start, she was the first audition of the first show this year, and she's so awesome. I hope she goes far. Her partner is no slouch, either. None of the other dances made much of an impression on me, I actually thought the Ashley/Chris hip-hop was bad (and not in a good way) but I'm still looking forward to being surprised as the season goes on. I sort of love Iveta, I don't think that you start ballroom training at age six without ending up kind of wacky, and I think her wacky is of the appealing type. Her quickstep was the bomb, too. My predictions for the first cut: Miranda, and unfortunately (because of his injury - I have no idea if I would have liked him) Mitchell. We'll see tomorrow if I was right.*

This week has flown! I can't believe it's already been a week since I was gearing up to go to my sister's and get the party started. But that means in a week from now I'll be gearing up to get the wedding festivities rolling and may it come as quickly. But then slow down, you know what I'm saying?

I don't really like this song on its own merits, but I can't hear it without thinking of being in the car as a kid, on our way to our annual camping trip. I hear it and it makes me smile every time, thinking of how the sun sparkled off the water, knowing we'd be on the island soon. The ride up still gets me ecstatically giddy, all these years later.



Ah, the eighties. This was your best stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That song brings back memories. The movie came out the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college.

    ReplyDelete