Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hear Me Roar

Yesterday was one of those days where I had a before-work appointment and an after-work meeting and saw my boy for one hour total. That was not my favorite day. Luckily those days are few and far between.

I've been continuing to "run" and even added on to my route this morning. The belly's still there. I was hoping it would just go away the second I tied on my sneaks, but apparently that's not how it works. I have to make peace with the thought that it might never ever go away no matter what I do. Just as I have to make peace with the idea that not everyone is going to like me.

That last bit comes from a recent work issue that made me my first sort-of enemy. It doesn't involve any of my coworkers, and I won't go into the details but to say that the experience sort of grew me up in a way that I wasn't all done growing. Most people realize that being in charge means you have to say and do things that people aren't always going to like, and I too knew this in theory, but I never had to apply it to my life before. I sort of wonder if that's just a function of my eager-to-please, peacekeeper personality, or if it's part of growing up female? Maybe both? All I know is that since I had to put my foot down last week and lived to tell the tale, I've noticed that I've started feeling ballsier in other aspects of my life, like confronting those gross dudes at the bar. It's freeing when you don't care if people think you're a bitch. Not that I'm going to start just being a jerk for no reason, but I'm less scared to do it if I have to.

This post brought to you by Feminism 101. But seriously, I'm a super feminist and always have been, it's just that I tend to conduct my feminist principles quietly and with as little confrontation as possible. It took me until last week to put into practice the notion that I can do my job the way I have to and not feel bad if it doesn't win me any fans. Thems the breaks. I'm not being intentionally vague here, I just don't want to write about what I do in any specific terms.

Here's a freaking great song from a freaking great album, and oh so summer-tastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment