Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Horror

I haven't watched the entire episode yet due to WTS (waking toddler syndrome - it's acute these days), but one of the plotlines of last Sunday's Family Guy concerns Stewie being traumatized by the album cover for Queen's "News of the World." ME TOO PAL! I thought I was alone, but someone in Hollywood feels my pain all these years later. My Uncle Tony had this record and if I ever accidentally caught sight of it, I would flip out. It still presents as epically creepy.

See also: Billy Joel's "The Stranger" (which belongs to an entire fear subset that I have involving anything that has eyes but can't see. Blind people being the exception), Jethro Tull's unsettling "Aqualung" and Spooky Tooth's "Ceremony" which I don't even know why I ever saw as I'm pretty sure I've never heard their music. If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, or just want to relive the horror, I dedicated a pinterest board so you can find all these turrible images in one convenient location.

I had a lot of phobias as a child, but this was maybe one of the weirdest - I used to avoid record stores (aw, "record stores" - remember those?) like the plague for fear that I'd see something that would put me over the edge. To this day I'm a little uneasy even in museums, I'm just very sensitive to visual images, particularly if I'm in an enclosed space. It's hard to explain.

Anyway. I wonder, what will scare children now that cover art is a thing of the past? Oh, everything else in the world? Right. I just remember I accidentally won the mother of the year award on Sunday afternoon when I let HR watch a little bit of Babe when he was waking from his nap. He's obsessed with farm animals, so I thought it would be right up his alley but the scene we happened upon was very chaotic and there were dogs chasing sheep and the pig was trapped and I looked over at my boy and will never forget the look on his face, he was just horrified, while tears streamed out of his eyes. Poor buddy.

On the heels of yesterday's entry regarding the dark subject matter I've been voluntarily consuming lately, I had my first round of murdery nightmares last night. Things that scare me don't usually manifest themselves in my dreams like that, so I thought it was interesting (once I woke up and chilled out a bit). Interesting, but not very welcome. Go away, murder dreams. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Let's end on a happy note, shall we? Way back in 2001, who knew that Pink would emerge as a totally legit talent? This song has such a fun, frothy pop feel to it. And damned if it's not one of my favorite songs of the early 2000s, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment