Tuesday, October 5, 2010

YAWN

If something happens more than three nights in a row, it's officially a trend yes? Well what we've got going isn't one of those good trends - after a relatively long stretch of nights where HR was up for one early morning feeding, we're back to waking up not once, not twice, but THRICE between bedtime and official wakey-wakey time. I'm sure the little tooth nubs in his bottom gums have something to do with this, but I'm also thinking this could be a sign that it's time to give solid foods a try. I was going to wait until six months because there was no reason not to, but what's a few weeks in the scheme of things? It might not help, but I figure it can't hurt. Rice cereal: the next frontier.

It's hard not to feel inadequate sometimes, because I read so much either in books or on blogs about other people's babies' progress. It's enough to drive me to mama meltdown when I read about people who actually have to wake up their babies in the morning to feed them-- babies that are younger than my own. But I'm a logical person at my core, and I know it's useless to compare my own milkhound to his age-mates. I have to make sure to go with my instincts instead of being envious of other peoples' situations. He's doing what he's doing, and that's what I've got to work with. And really, what I've got to work with is a totally excellent baby on the whole. He's so wonderful and beautiful it astounds me on an hourly basis. It helps when Mike reminds me that our job as parents right now is to meet his needs, his own specific needs which include extra feedings, so that's what we're doing. He's a happy boy almost all the time, which I suppose is a testament that we're doing OK. Maybe someday he'll catch up with the good sleepers. Or he won't. But it's comforting to know (in a benevolent, non-nasty way) that even the exemplary munchkins come around with a little challenge somewhere down the line. Babies are babies, and if it's not nursing or sleeping or diaper issues it's something else.

Children, jeez. Lucky they're so fun to dress up in tiny clothing.

The blog of the week is one of my all-time favorites, and needs no explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment