Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Which is Nice

I had a lot of cavities when I was a kid, so I was at the dentist all the time. I was never afraid to go and get my teeth filled. Looking back, I know it was partly because I was purposely kept in the dark about what exactly was going on in my mouth, but mostly because of the nitrous oxide. I guess that explains my uncharacteristic need to jam out to the Dead on the ride home, too. Honestly though, after yesterday's three-hour dental visit that I don't want to even go into, I was nostalgic for the days of blissful ignorance and mind-altering gas. One positive thing I came away with was a renewed appreciation for science, particularly the science that makes pain relief possible. Novocain is good. Epidurals are good. Even when you have an accurate idea of what terrifying things are going on in the parts of your body you can't feel, the not-feeling part is a way to keep from losing your mind when thinking about it. Science, you are my valentine forever.

My non-valentine forever is horror movie season, specifically because the ads for these movies run at times when young children (or extremely wussy adults) could be watching. I do not need to be hit with that Paranormal Activity 2 commercial when I'm alone in the house in the dark with a baby. Or ever, but especially then. I just want to watch an episode of the Simpsons without having to cover my eyes and ears during every commercial break, is that so much to ask? As if my video monitor didn't already freak me out enough.

Oh but there are definitely advantages to the video monitor. At about 3 a.m. I heard HR squawking and just watched to see if I needed to get out of bed to help him get settled--the answer is almost always yes--but it turned out I got to witness self-soothing in action. He turned on his side, stuck his thumb in his mouth and went back to sleep. Sure that was one time out of four or five in the night that he was able to achieve this, but as with any milestone, if he did it once, it means he'll do it again...someday. And someday's good enough for me. Plus it's some encouraging evidence that my swaddling step-down program is working.

So I've got that going for me. And that's a good base from which to build a fine Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for self-soothing! And even more cool that you got to witness it. Very nice. Also, I was at the dentist this morning and you are so, so right! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete