Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Eerie (But Not Unwelcome) Coincidence

HR must be reading this. How else do you explain him sleeping from 8:15-5:15 and then going back to sleep for 2+ more hours after eating? I'm sure it's more of a one-off than the way it's actually going to be, but damn, what timing! Of course Mike and I both got up like ten times to check on him because (vay-pahs!) what could be wrong with him that he's acting like a normal baby? It felt like gift in any case, and I'll treat it as such. Maybe his one-day-early six-month present to us?

I was listening to the radio on the way in to work this morning and John Lennon's "Watching the Wheels" came on. Normally I would have skipped by it. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Beatles fan. I don't trust people who say they don't like the Beatles. You don't like the Beatles? It's like saying you don't like air or sunshine. It's essential, there's nothing to like or not like. I feel like people who make such a statement are being provocative or have something to prove. Anyway, the point is that, in spite of/because of my lifetime fandom, I rarely listen to a Beatles or solo Beatle song on the radio because I have heard them all so many times over that I just have to be struck in the right mood. And today I was in the right mood for "Watching the Wheels." It really made me think that what's so tragic about John Lennon's death, to me, is not the death itself so much but that it happened at a time when he was just figuring out that he didn't want to be a dick anymore. Who knows what he could have done with all that positive energy? Maybe his songwriting would have suffered, become reflective and self-indulgent (which "Wheels" arguably portends). But a guy with all that charisma, deciding that the world is suddenly his friend? It's a damn shame that we didn't get to find out.

And now for something really important: the Halloween candy poll. What's your favorite? Mine, currently, is Milky Way Midnight.

Have a sweet, nougat-y, caramel-y day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure. I guess my favorite Halloween candy bar is Snickers. Other favorites from my trick-or-treat days were M & M, Mounds, and Reeses Cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry doll - I really don't like the Beatles much. I mean I will hum along to a Beatles tune but can't say I go out of my way to listen to them. Milky Way has always been my favorite but candy corn is sometimes just the thing. At some point HR will sleep thru every night and then he will become a teenager and it all will go to heck again. Enjoy singing Yellow Submarine at 3AM you will look back on it with joy someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a Beatles fan, I think only because I like other things more, but I do have favorite albums while pretty much ignoring a lot (most) of their earliest stuff. I wholeheartedly agree about Lennon. It would have been nice to see what the non-dick Lennon could do (although, with crazy Ono influence, I'm not even sure about that). If I were eating candy, I would not discriminate, and I would eat it all. This is the first year I haven't even had a candy corn pumpkin (cries)

    ReplyDelete