Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You'll Be Smitten

I was thinking about the name of this blog, which I chose in hormonal haste, and now think is pretty corny and doesn't quite reflect me, what I write about, my life. Not that I'm not a corny person, or that my love of pie has waned even the tiniest bit, but you all know and are too polite to mention that it's way, way cutesy. I am not cutesy. However, I am lazy and I'm disinclined to go through the rigamarole of creating a whole new blog this far in. So I'm taking a cue to remind myself of one of the simplest ideas behind this online experiment: to cultivate joy in my everyday life. Not that what I've got isn't entirely joyous, but it's so easy not to notice it when there's a laundry avalanche spilling into your kitchen and you've been woken up five times in five hours with a cranky infant and you made a boneheaded mistake at work and you realize your new haircut is stupid. And by "you" I clearly mean "me."

I have an amazing life. It's not noteworthy or unusual in any way, but it's so good it would be a real travesty not to marvel over it on a regular basis. So here are some everyday little things that are too lovely to overlook.

The back of a baby's head. Come on!



The new Twilight Singers album is out and I have it! It sounds exactly like the other Twilight Singers albums, but I'm OK with that.

This clip from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - it's mad old, but it makes me endlessly happy (please excuse the picture quality)



Sea Unicorns! For Camber-ville peeps, have you driven by the window on Mass Ave that contains a seascape full of papier mache seahorses (including a stunning sea unicorn)? I don't know what this is, and I don't want to know, because it would destroy the magic. Just go see it if you can because I suspect one of these days it will just disappear.

The David Byrne Workout - I'll finish up today with a clip from what I think is the second best concert film of all time, The Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense. The weird, wired energy throughout the film is contagious. I'm telling you, watch this when you need a pick-me-up. It's tastier than Red Bull, and ten times more effective. Proven. Fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment