Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Family Book Club

You know that thing where you write a heartfelt entry about raising an only child and it gets deleted because TECHNOLOGY SMASH BLERGH? That. I'm a bit sad about my gobbled up words, and will re-write the entry from scratch tomorrow and it will be better for it. I learned that lesson more times in my academic life thank I think I needed to, frankly.

For now, let's chat about what we're reading. I'm currently dividing my time among Let's Pretend This Never Happened (a hot recommendation from a lot of you guys), the whole bunch of Game of Thrones books (on my phone, so this'll take ten years) and a book that shall not be named that I have been reading since 2005, give or take. I recently finished Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling, and it was so great, as many of you said. She's just fantastic, and makes me so envious that she has my fantasy career--one of 20 fantasy careers--comedy writer. Oh, and I realize I never weighed in after finishing The Fault In Our Stars, and I have this to say: read it. Just pick up that book and don't put it down. I read it at the worst conceivable time, and I still found it more wonderful and exhilarating than sad. I cried, of course, but I cry all the time for lots of reasons. John Green, just, Jesus. I read that Shailene Woodley was cast as Hazel in the movie version, and that is not good news for me because I unfairly hold the stupid teen pregnancy preaching show against her, but I'll see it regardless.

Next up is The Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter and The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer. Oh, and In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran, which sounds like summer vacation reading to me. I like to have some great stuff in the chamber at all times.

HR can't get enough of The Wicked Big Toddlah Goes to New York by Kevin Hawkes, and rightly so because Hawkes is awesome, and also from Maine so big ups to the homegrown author/illustrators.

Mike's reading a lot of wikipedia because he's always working, pretty much. But he did read the aforementioned John Taylor autobio as well as the Terry Francona joint, which is required reading for Sox fans.

And then we do a lot of dancing around to this because it's a great song for kids before they can understand the lyrics.








No comments:

Post a Comment