Tuesday, April 23, 2013

World Keeps Turning

Night #2 in the big boy bed was not as easy-peasy as #1 - there were some tears. However, they were familiar "I just don't want to go to sleep" tears vs. "I hate my bed" tears. Nothing new, I've gotten the firm-but-calm-you-are-going-to-bed-and-I'm-leaving-the-room act down to a science and he went to sleep on his own, peacefully, only 15 minutes later than expected. Setbacks are inevitable, but so far, so good. I won't be making the sleep report a daily feature, just following up on whether the transition was a fluke.

Meanwhile, something woke me at 4 a.m., and instead of going back to sleep immediately like a smart person my mind started racing, and I fixated on whether HR was going to get up and get into some kind of trouble in his room. And then a song from the Lolliwinks-- if you've never heard of it, consider yourself lucky as it is a very annoying children's album from my own youth--ran through my head on a continuous loop for no reason and it was... not ideal. Thankfully it's been a long time since I've had those kind of woes. Remember when sleep was the only thing I ever wrote about? I don't miss that. If there are any new parents reading this, believe something I just couldn't: it does get easier. Though I hope for you it was easy from the beginning. If you have a good sleeper, cherish it like the suitcase full of golden light it is.

Not to sign off on a bummer note, but I was saddened to hear of the passing of the Divinyls lead singer yesterday. Until recently I had no idea that her band even existed before "I Touch Myself," let alone that it was their song in a pivotal scene of that all-time classic The Legend of Billie Jean (I am serious about my love for that movie). RIP, Chrissy Amphlett (and Richie Havens, and the incomparable E. L. Konigsburg). Damn, yesterday we lost a bunch of good ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment