Monday, September 10, 2012

In The Air

Yesterday HR and I were hanging out at home and he was playing with his guys while I was putzing around and apropos of nothing, he said, "Mama, so happy see you at home!"

Me: I'm happy to be here with you, honey.

HR: How you doin'?

Me: I'm great. How are you?

HR: Good.

So I guess we can check off the "initiating conversation" box in the milestone checklist. Sometimes I can tell exactly how or from where  he's picked up certain things, sometimes it's a bit of a head scratcher (I don't think he's ever seen an episode of Friends, but somehow he's got the Joey Tribbiani down cold). In any case, this stage is great fun. He was a terrific pill his morning, but so far the wonderful parts of being nearly 2 and a half (I KNOW) are outweighing the challenging.

The weekend was overall quite chill. We had a fun, delicious family brunch and a bit of outdoor time and I watched Beginners with an unbelievably good Christopher Plummer which I highly, highly recommend (even though I oddly didn't shed a tear). And now it's football season, which coincides with my favorite time of the year even though I don't care about football itself. I like all the accoutrements, such as nachos and beer and touchdown dances and tailgate parties and the ever crisping of the weather. I do care heaps about baseball still, though you wouldn't know about it. I just can't bring myself to write about the Sox. Obviously we've had a lot of tough times with these guys, but this season has been the most consistently disheartening. Ride it out, guys, and here's to a fresh start in 2013.

And now I sit here facing, what, a full work week? It's been so long since I've had one of those, I just don't know if I'm up for it anymore. But I'll put on my game face and give it a go.


No comments:

Post a Comment