Wednesday, September 26, 2012

An Outlaw For Your Love

Today we are in the midst of serious and solemn holiday in the Jewish faith, a day of atonement, of sacrifice and taking stock. I've previously addressed that I am not Jewish and not actually religious in any way, but I have a deep respect for tradition, and I make my own meaning from traditions all over the religious spectrum. I can see why the idea of giving up things for Lent is a good idea, for example. I don't usually do so, but I appreciate the mindfulness behind it. The same goes for Yom Kippur. Reflection and making amends don't have to (and shouldn't) be limited to one day a year of course, but if it takes one day to remind us to do so, I've got no problem with it.

And so if I have wronged you, ever, for the smallest thing, I am sincerely sorry. I don't think that this absolves me from deep and specific hurts I've caused--saying a blanket "sorry" doesn't take the place of one-to-one communication, nor do I think it serves as a pass to knowingly be a jerk (the whole "do what you want and give it up to God later" aspect of some religious sects is a major turnoff for me). But I'm taking my chance here to expose my everyday frailty. I don't think I'm anything like a perfect person, and I think it's a good idea to publicly state that every once in awhile, since all I do in here is write about me and the things I think and feel and endorse. As with every year, I want to also commit to being a kinder, more patient and thoughtful person in the coming year. A better friend, partner, mother, daughter, sister. Some years it works out better than others, but every year's another chance to make up for the past and set a strong foundation for the future. And love and love and love.

Now the only regret I associate with this song is that I'll never hear Alex Chilton sing it live.


No comments:

Post a Comment