Monday, May 23, 2011

I Like To Shock People With Glamour

This weekend was MUCH more like it. Lots of time out in the beautiful weather, plenty of quality Mama/Dada/baby time as well as time spent with local and visiting friends. Plus, beers al fresco and raspberry chocolate chip pancakes. It would have been a good note on which to go out, had THE RAP-CHA somehow come to pass. All the better of course that it didn't. I believe we've set the tone for the summer, even though it's back to stupid Smarch weather for the moment.

Today is significant to me because it marks 10 years since I started my first online blog. Then it was called a diary. It was anonymous, and then it got increasingly less so until I put it under lock and key and then it was time for it to be done in that incarnation. And I missed it enough to launch this guy here. The thing is, I can't overemphasize how many ways this whim of mine--this lark borne of a break from grad school when I had all this time on my hands and I felt my life needed an outlet, a little shake-up--changed me. I had no idea 1) that anyone would ever really read it; 2) that it would bring real people into my life at all, never mind that I would eventually meet so many of them and 3) that I would still be yammering about my life in a public forum all this time later. A lot has transpired over this decade, both personally and globally, and it's astounding for me to have such a record of it. So there you go.

Last night I watched Rufus! Rufus! Rufus! Does Judy! Judy! Judy!. If you are like me, I suggest you do the same. I love concert films, we've talked about my feelings for Rufus before, and I am a huge Judy Garland fan (I also have a soft spot for Liza, but it's not about her right now). The point is, I found out this DVD existed and BOOM, to the top of my Netflix queue. Had I known about the concert when it was live I probably would have found a way to get there. I'm going to link this number, not because it was my favorite from the show or even that it's a song of all songs I especially like, but it's crushing in a sweet way to see him perform with his beloved mama Kate McGarrigle who passed away not too long ago.



Work calls, but this is worth taking a moment or five.

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for this anniversary of yours. Mine's in October. It sure is nice to know ya, D.

    ReplyDelete