Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cue: Hallelujah Chorus

So HR slept through the night. No big thang.

!!!!!!

Clearly it's the biggest thing in the world. Last night was a mega-breakthrough - not only did he lay himself down in his crib with nary a whimper at bedtime, but he didn't make a peep until after 5 a.m. I know that's super early, but whatever. After a little morning nursing, he went back down until after 7. If this is as good as it gets, I can happily live with it. But there's no reason to believe it won't get even more awesome. Of course I know better than to think that one night means this is how it will be forever more, but it's a sign people. A sign that reads: "We All Gon' Get Some Sleep Up In Herrre." No really, I'm putting that on a poster and hanging it in his room. Mike especially will love that.

I did some yoga last night after I put the baby to bed, just a gentle 20 minute practice, but I have been seriously neglecting my mental and physical well-being as a by-product of my fatigue and this is my way of reclaiming it. I know I should have been doing it all along, it would have been more helpful than wine and TV therapy, but knowing and doing are two things. I'll still engage in the more fun things of course, but unless you have been through this you can't understand how freeing it is to be able to count on some nighttime predictability and what it means for the quality of your life. More yoga for mama! Then maybe even some running (or any activity that will help get rid of the sad face that is my midsection)? I have a huge list I've been compiling of things like that, things I used to do and enjoy that I might get back to once I'm not so dang tired, like returning to regular platelet donations. To have the prospect of checking off items on that list is like winning the lottery. I know, the first world tribulations of the parent of a healthy, happy baby. Acknowledging that doesn't do a thing to dampen my glee at the latest development.

Our passive/aggressively nice neighbor brought us a bunch of lilacs from her bushes last night and now my house smells of every wonderful springtime association, of rebirth and of sexy and of fleeting and of purple, but not too purple. Whatever the best smell is to you, that's it to me. It's all coming together, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment