Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Not Fade Away

Last night was the best night we've had in awhile, meaning three wake-ups between bedtime and morning-time instead of the previous night's seven. HR got in a solid 4 + hour block of sleep right off the bat, which is the longest he's stayed down at once for quite some time. I can very nearly live with that, especially since I am finding that the ideas put forth in the current sleep book I'm reading are much more in line with my parenting philosophy than any I've come across so far. It gives me concrete hope that if I keep at it we'll make it to a workable sleeping environment for everyone. So "up for the day" meant 5:30 on this morning, and the coffee I pounded before work (while he took his hard-core morning nap at 7:30 instead of the usual 9... oh boy...) has already worn off. So I occasionally slog through my days in a cotton-headed ninnymuggins haze. It wakes me up when I'm seized with the feeling that nighttime triumph--however temporary--cannot be so very far away. They don't call them baby steps for nothing.

But enough about that. For now. Who is getting psyched for Thanksgiving besides this guy? It's so close, and here I haven't even planned the menu (for Mike to cook, of course) yet. All I know is that we'll follow the meal with the traditional bowl o' mixed nuts in the shell. I don't know why I love the holiday nut bowl, I don't even eat that many of them and it makes a godawful mess. Last year I was nearly blinded by a walnut shell-- luckily I was wearing my glasses at the time and was able to deflect the flying shard. Mike sure does love to tell the tale about the time he nearly put my eye out with his nuts, though.

As in many things, I guess it's a nostalgic thing for me. My dearly missed Aunt Sue used to host many of the holiday gatherings when I was growing up and she always had a big fruit basket and a platter of nuts around to munch on post dinner. Looks like I subconsciously decided to take an entertaining cue from her. What I should really do is get a working record player and get the dance party going like she always did. I know that many of you who read this can clearly call to mind Aunt Sue doing the shimmy to Sandy Nelson's version of "Wipeout." This January will mark 15 years since she died. 15 years! Not a day has gone by in all that time when I didn't think of her, and I imagine that will never change.

Hmm, I didn't mean for this entry to take such a bittersweet turn, but sometimes that just happens.

What are your favorite Thanksgiving foods and traditions? I'd love to hear them if you're inclined to share.

3 comments:

  1. I miss her Lemon Meringue Pie - it was more of a work of art than food. Also call it crazy but those peach blossoms mem always had on hand.
    Sleep - it is a precious commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gross, but I love jellied cranberry sauce in a can. That nasty jello stuff with the faint hint of metallic aftertaste. It is NOT Thanksgiving without it. Especially laded onto leftover turkey sandwiches on potato bread with tons of mayo.

    I, too, am a Thanksgiving dork. Though guests at our table are rather skerce since the divorce. Just us and Mick's parents. Turkey and fixin's for 5. 4, really, all Mick's dad eats is a couple of crescent rolls. ~LA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanksgiving at our house is very traditional and so comforting! Turkey with all of the trimmings....so that's turkey w/ gravy, savory stuffing, wild rice, mashed potatoes, candied yams or candied yam casserole, cranberry sauce, and some type of green vegetable. Also salad and bread. Pumpkin pie for dessert. Sometimes roasted chestnuts. Usually some type of red wine. In recent years, we've experimented with the mashed potatoes, making them red bliss skin mashed potatoes with garlic. Last year we did manchego smashed potatoes (from the Food Network). The green veggies are usually either brussels sprouts, asparagus, or green beans. I always do a salad that is romaine mixed with spring mix, walnuts, feta and dried cranberries. We've also experimented with sweet potato pie as well. I love the smell of fresh chopped celery (to go into the stuffing) on Thanksgiving morning, while the Macy's parade is on t.v. The house smells wonderful as everything is cooking and there is the parade followed by football and usually the IAMS or Eukanuba dog show on tv. :-) These are the traditions that I want my children (if I ever have any) to experience. After dinner we usually watch a movie, or sometimes old family slides. This year, I'm hope to try my hand at making candied pecans or walnuts (new for our Turkey Day spread--I'm just looking for the right recipe).

    ReplyDelete