Monday, November 22, 2010

Countdown to Elastic Waist Pants

What a great weekend. Sigh for it being over. But it's only a moderately crazypants Monday, and a super short week, with Thanksgiving as the capper. So basically I've got nothing to be bitching about no matter how busy things might be over the next couple of days. Oh TG, how do I love thee? It's been my favorite holiday all my life, even when I believed in Santa. A born foodie, that's me.

We're hosting again this year, a modest 13 at the table counting Mr. Pants. I love, love, love hosting this holiday. We've got the menu finalized, and it's decidedly simple this year, but I predict it'll still be amazing. Not that we've done a drop of prep yet, because we haven't, but tonight Mike will do the shopping while I put HR to bed and we'll make ahead whatever we can.

The menu:
Appetizers- crudite & dip, cheese plate, deviled eggs (maybe)
Dinner- turkey, gravy, stuffing, cream cheese mashed potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, homemade cranberry sauce, cucumber salad
Dessert- lemon meringue pie, pumpkin pie, "crack bars" (what I've dubbed my great-aunt's chocolate/peanut/butter/marshmallow crunch concoction), sorbet, fruit and nuts.

Plus an assortment of beverages. And pureed squash or sweet potatoes and breastmilk for the young gentleman.

Oh my god is it Thursday yet? Actually it's not just the food that's getting me all excited, but knowing that we'll have a houseful of loved ones to celebrate the baby's first Thanksgiving. As ever, I have much for which to be thankful (and we can add 'baby sleeping much better' for now), but a beautiful family and wonderful friends will always top the list.

Just to cut the treacle, now that HR's been on solid food for over a month, he's started making solid poo and so far he's not a fan. Babies, man. It's always something.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment