Monday, September 27, 2010

Sing a Song of Five

Our boy is five months old today! Everybody told me that these infant months fly by, and everybody was right. He's almost a half-year old - I can't quite comprehend that. Sometimes I wish I could just slow him down, but the developments are way too much fun.

Saturday I hosted a shower for my girl who is due to give birth in a few weeks, and it was a very nice afternoon catching up with a bunch of ladies I rarely see, nibbling on treats and sipping on a baby-bathtub's worth of pumpkin and other fall brews. It was a tad warm for a fall-themed shower (the hot cider was barely touched) but we gathered around the air conditioner and passed around the two babies in attendance while the Mama-to-Be opened her gifts. Can't wait to meet the new baby when she/he's fully cooked!

That night I stayed up way past my bedtime so I could see Mike for a few minutes (he worked his butt off this weekend), and the little sprout decided to wake up way early yesterday morning, so we spent the day inside, chilling in our jammies. I hope the baby enjoyed himself, because as long as Mike will be working anyway, this will be how the boy and I will be spending the majority of our Sundays. The lazy Sunday is a beautiful thing and I've perfected its observance.

In between trying to keep a quiet vibe and get Mr. Man to take two separate afternoon naps (and failing miserably) there was an Arrested Development marathon on IFC. Perfect. Sundays were made for such things, if you're not into football. Sure I own the entire series on DVD and I haven't even watched it, but I know it's there if I need to. In general I'm not a big buyer of things, but I do collect art that I love and this qualifies. Ditto Veronica Mars and Freaks and Geeks. IFC has also been running Freaks and Geeks in its entirety, and I've been revisiting that and marveling at what an amazing, amazing show it is. It's note-perfect. They ran the episode the other night where Freak leader Daniel talks to Geek leader Harris and I believe it's one of the best written and performed scenes in TV history. It's easy to see why Stephen Lea Sheppard didn't go on to much more (aside from a memorable turn in The Royal Tenenbaums) because he so perfectly inhabits the role of Harris.

Anyway, I'm overdue for the first pump o' the mornin' so I'll go take care of that but Happy Banned Books week! Go exercise your intellectual freedom and read your favorite (it's probably on the list).

No comments:

Post a Comment