Thursday, June 27, 2013

I Bleed Rainbow

It's really easy for me to go on and on about things I love and adore and worship and what-have-you but in the long run, I know are not that important. Surface things. Important in their own ways, but not really, real-life important. You know what I mean. For example, SYTYCD gives me worlds--planets--of true happiness (the street dancers this year! That opening top 20 number! Aaron and Jasmine H.! Gushing fangirl et cetera-ness!), but it's just a show. It's easy to go on and on because it doesn't truly awake the passion beast or expose my vulnerable human belly like what I'm about to address. And though I don't want to live in a world where my view could be taken as controversial, there are people who don't agree with me. That's how it is, and I don't like it. But in case there was any doubt, this is my side.

Yesterday the Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act and Prop. 8. And there was much rejoicing. Including by yours truly, I mean it was a major victory for civil rights. But the celebration is tempered because there's still so much more to do before we get there, if we ever get there. You know what I mean? Gay men and women now have their freedom to marry recognized as a constitutional right which is AWESOME. But. For starters, there's still plenty of vocal discrimination. And I have retroactive anger because, hey, why hasn't it been recognized all along? There have never not been gay people, and they've never not been human beings. So I guess it just makes me sad to remember that the world is so fucking hateful sometimes. I can't see discrimination as anything other than hateful.

I was reading someone's blog yesterday, and she prefaced by saying something like, "I'm about to celebrate the Supreme Court's decision, so if you don't want to read about that, skip today's entry. No judgment." And I was like, really? I judge. I judge the shit out of you. If you are the kind of person who can look into your heart and truly believe that gay men and women are not entitled to civil rights as citizens of the country, then I will not miss you reading my blog. Maybe we shouldn't be friends. I just can't extend my line of thinking to accept that someone can be loving and also be homophobic. I'm not afraid of angering someone by saying it here. And I don't actually think that any of the whopping dozen or so readers I have are in the category I'm talking about, but I'm just saying, why apologize for a belief that just makes sense? Would you apologize to someone who doesn't believe in interracial marriage? It is not one single iota different. I'm not saying you don't have the right to your beliefs or to talk about them if you supported either DOMA or Prop. 8. I just think your beliefs are terrible.

Anyway, you can understand how it's a bit more difficult for me to even make a start at an entry like this because it's not cute or funny. It's visceral and unshakeable in me, I have no sense of humor about it, and I'm beyond the point where I can have a rational discussion with someone who disagrees. Usually I'm a pleaser, I like to keep everyone happy and on an even keel. But not at the expense of something like this.

I am sorry to take something as beautiful as yesterday's events and cast a shadow over them with my rage cage. Please know that I am totally, totally thrilled with the verdict for the people I love who are gay and for all people. It makes my heart soar that HR will grow up in a society where marriage equality is the norm. That's the bottom line.

Let's dance!



No comments:

Post a Comment