Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Anatomy of a Treat

A treat, to me, is a hot fudge sundae. A pedicure. A much-awaited book and uninterrupted time for getting lost in it. Running is not a treat. Not usually. But last night I got to run home from work in the zero-humidity beautiful evening, and it felt like all three of those other things combined. I didn't even want to listen to my ipod, just enjoy my thoughts and the sounds of the city.

It's all in the context. The aforementioned treats are categorized as such because they are rare, and the outdoor run has become an elusive butterfly in my current situation. It's not a complaint, just what it is. There was one time in my life where I identified as a runner, but now I'm firmly in the camp of "person who runs for exercise." I still get joy from the movement here and there, I'm never sorry that I did it after I've run, but it's hard to get excited about jumping on the treadmill at 9 p.m. when the couch seems like so much more reasonable of an option. I do love my treadmill, both for its convenience and its pesky tendency to cancel out my excuses ("I just don't feel like it" overpowers the machine's pull about a quarter of the time) but I tell you, having a chance to break out of the routine really helps. I'm hoping to get out and run more this summer, once a week at most, and even that will take some creative scheduling. Maybe I can pull it off.

Either way, no1curr what I'm doing or not doing. I'm just saying that if you live in the Greater Boston area and you like to do your workouts in the out-of-doors, there's never been a better time than now. If you can do your thing outside whenever you want to, dedicate a run to me. And reward yourself with whatever qualifies as a treat to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment