Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fiction Friction

Back-to-school time always turns my thoughts to writing. This is a good thing, believe me, but I wonder, how many times can I get my engine revved up and not follow through til the end? I know that this is absolutely a ME problem - I'm the only one who can finish what I start, and I don't know why I repeatedly self-sabotage. It's within me to push through, but for some reason, call it laziness, call it actually-not-that-great-of-a-writer-but-I don't-want-people-to-find-out-ness, whatever, I'm the only one to blame and I make no excuses.

But I can't help believing that maybe this year, THIS fall will be the one. I've got a new idea for a book I'm chewing on, it's really just taking the book I've been working on intermittently for the past six years and setting it in the 1990s. I'm pretty pumped about it, I think this change will breathe some new life into it, and I think it's about time for that nostalgia wave to circle back around - if I so happen to catch that wave at the right time, why not? The trouble--which is always my trouble--is that I am in love with my characters and I love writing them. But then there's the problem of plot. Plot is always my problem. And it's a pretty significant one, considering you can't write a novel without one. I'm thinking I really should join a writing group, if for no other reason than to keep me accountable.

So, back into the fray. As always I'll keep you posted. And if I'm not writing about my writing at least once a week, you know that I backslid again. So that's a sign to ask me how it's going. I'll get pissed off, but really only at me. Rachel, I will wear your lovely necklace as a totem, maybe that'll just do the trick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment