Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Toast and Jellybeans For All!

In a matter of hours I'll be home, chilling with my dudes, receiving the first of our houseguests, maybe starting some food prep, maybe getting in a run before the festivating commences, more likely pouring a glass of wine and cutting to the chase. In the meantime I'll be trying to distract myself, wishing it was that time. Sure I have work to do, but how can be expected to focus when I have holiday on the brain? Exactly.

We've got a big crowd coming tomorrow, it'll be a tight fit around the table, but that's what really makes it for me. This year I decided to focus on simplicity for the day, keeping it low-maintenance and hopefully yielding maximum relaxation for us all (but especially the chef). Instead of doing anything elaborate or trying a new dish, we've scaled back to a really basic, traditional menu: veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries, roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. The baking elves from Maine will be bringing me pies (all for me, nobody else), and other family members volunteered to provide other bits of goodness. We've got it down to a science.

I wouldn't say that my sole purpose in life is to host Thanksgiving, but this might actually be the case. I'm not saying I am Martha Stewart caliber-- I do not even own an iron, can you imagine what she would say? Not to mention I cook exactly one dish myself, and that's really more of a condiment. It's just that how can I get so much insane joy from it if it's not my raison d'etre? Perhaps it's outsize relief from not having to travel anywhere after my trudge home tonight. Whatever it is, I love my November tradition.

Happy hearts to all and all.  Let's do this thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment