Monday, August 22, 2011

Dual Citizenship

This past weekend was spent up in the land of my birth so I could attend my soon-to-be-sister-in-law's bridal shower. It's always so nice to be there because I have great memories of growing up, and my parents always snap back into the "taking care of the kids" mode whenever we're home, so even though we're usually there because of some kind of occasion and we spend a lot of time working on this or that, it's relaxing like nothing else. Plus Maine is so beautiful, it will always be home in my heart. Sometimes it makes me just plain sad to go back and see the changes to the place, how much has changed (and not for the better) as it becomes another once-bustling industry town on its last legs. But there are glimmers of hope there, new businesses that seem to be thriving, an actual population of people under 60. I could see how someone starting out could make a life there. But even with the charms and comforts of rural living (not to mention the real estate prices), I'm always happy to flee back to my real adult home in the dirty, crowded, wonderful city. Since I was a kid I felt destined to get out. It's just nice to have the option to go back when I want to. I wonder how HR will feel about his environment when he looks back on his own childhood.

We hit some nightmare standstill traffic that tacked more than an hour onto our return trip (I guess I don't usually go south on Sundays in the summer - it was a true shock) but it was worth it to have the time visiting with loved ones and get a jump on celebrating the upcoming marriage. Oh, and the food. I've had some ridiculously good culinary experiences in my life, but I never eat like I do when I'm home. My wee chowhound definitely comes by it honestly. About the boy, his rash cleared up within a day of switching meds, much to our relief, so it looks like we're dealing with a common penicillin allergy. And I don't want to jinx anything, but with his newfound mobility he seems to have also grown out of that pesky attachment phase. It was thrilling to pat him on his butt and see him off with Mammy and Pepere and Gram and Auntie and all the ladies fawning over him at the shower and know he wasn't going to be whining for me in 30 seconds. He was even pretty good on the car trips (compared to his usual standards). He needed constant entertaining, but I wasn't talking him down from a screaming tantrum the entire drive, which was nice. And though his sleeping is not perfect (will it ever be?), it's back to being consistently good, which is enough for me, especially since we're asking a lot of him lately with all the traveling and such. In all, he's reached a really fun, delicious stage as we coast toward the 16-month mark.

I have lots to do in this three-day workweek (going to visit in-laws down the Cape - tough life!) so I'd better get back to it. Ooh, here's a good one:


No comments:

Post a Comment