Thursday, July 7, 2011

Time to Show Up

I forewent SYTYCD last night in favor of baseball, so nobody tell me who was awesome or not. I like to decide for myself. Looking forward to a double shot of dancing tonight- DVR is the best/worst thing in the world for those with an instant gratification problem. I can stop at any time.

On the serious tip, Mike's dad is having some health problems so we're all on edge. And as much as I'm looking forward to seeing some great friends this weekend, the detail that part of the gathering's purpose is to spread our dear departed friend's ashes makes me a little less excited. I haven't seen any of those guys since the last time I saw him, so going to that place and seeing those people without him is going to make his loss real. Really real.

While I'm being emotional, I have avoided weighing in on the Caylee Anthony issue. Not I don't have an opinion, and not because it doesn't break my heart because, you know, I have a heart. It's because 1) I see enough dark shit every day at my workplace and I try very hard to limit the amount of terrible things I let into my brainspace (I'm about as successful at this as you think) and 2) every time I see a picture of this sweet, gorgeous baby girl, it haunts me, but no more than the thought of the many more sweet, gorgeous babies who are missing and dead and we will never know enough about it to get outraged because they are not so camera-friendly (white) and their parents aren't such media draws (pretty, young, white). That's cynical as hell, but prove me wrong.

And that's why I don't want to write about it any more. Nobody needs to be reminded to hug their little ones extra hard these day, I think. Anyway, there's so much horrible in the world. Luckily there's also this.

No comments:

Post a Comment