Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Eye Candy

I've lived in the greater Boston area exactly half of my life at this point, and I've always felt that I don't take advantage of what's available to me. For example, we're members of the Museum of Fine Arts and if we make it there once a year we consider it a success. It's a damn shame. We always say we'll do better, and then life gets all up in our business. Of course that sounds like and excuse - the goal is to take charge, to be the boss of life. But who besides, like, David Lee Roth or J.K. Rowling gets to get in life's way, you know what I'm saying?

For today, though, armed with our membership cards and capitalizing upon my job's flexibility and physical proximity to the Museum, we were able to put together a quick lunchtime trip to look at ahhht. Mike and I had both been keen to see this exhibit and as it will be gone by the time we get back from vacation, we settled on today. Turns out it was a great collection to count as HR's first museum visit because it's all flash and ooh and ahhh. I personally loved it, not because I'm into whimsy in and of itself, but because every now and then there are things that make you smile, that are beautiful and interesting and are done just because, and they are as vital and necessary as Important Art. This particular "just because" was a welcome oasis of color and light and happiness (not to mention baby cuddles) in the middle of a packed workday, and helped remind me not to overthink so much, to just get out and do. At the very least, I'm grateful we got our act together and didn't let this show pass us by.

And while I'm all hopped up on sparkles and bubbles and fairyfarts, here's this song, an unofficial ode to summertime magic. And probably MDMA. But I'm going with my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment