Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Heart & Soul D-D-Dance

HR started swimming lessons this morning and I'm not going to lie, it made me tear up a little bit watching him and Mike bobbing around in the pool. By the time he has his first day of school I should be in top form if this is already happening. He seemed to really love the water bit, but every time he remembered I was there he got all whiny and started reaching out for me. Next time I'll have to watch from a hiding place or actually get in the pool. Today it was so sultry in the pool room I should have just jumped in clothes and all.

The recent oppressive heat reminds me why summer is such a great time for movies: air conditioning for those without. Not that I go to the movies anymore-- with any luck I will at least get to the Harry Potter before the big holiday movie hype begins. But summertime and movies go hand in hand even in these instant-watch times. I got to thinking the other day about the ancient custom of the "movie song." Old people like me: remember when songs were specifically written for movies and marketed as such? Does this happen anymore? I guess the Oscars think so, but it's not like it used to be. It was just expected in those days that the videos for the songs would contain clips from said movies. I don't think I've seen a movie-related video in over a decade (if I've seen a video at all). Weird how you take things for granted and suddenly you realize they're extinct. Is this how our grandparents felt about 78 records and Brilliantine?

Anyway, today's selection is a summer song extraordinaire and a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I almost went with INXS's "Good Times" from The Lost Boys, but the celebrity cameos in this video won out. A word of warning: most of them will make you sad in one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment