Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oh, Futility!

As I get older, I find summer to be more and more overrated. I'm more sensitive to the heat, I don't get a three-month vacation, I appreciate air conditioning but don't actually like it, the sun can kill you for real, blah blah blah. There are a million things to love about it of course, like milkshakes and swimming and corn on the cob and fireflies. The shortness of the season really drives up its stock, and I think that's why I get so excited about its arrival every year. But now that I'm an aging mama, I realized I'd rather it just be fall all the time, unless of course I'm on vacation at the beach. If I could be on vacation at the beach for extended periods of time, then by all means leave the sub-80-degree weather to the simple folk. As circumstance would have it though, I am one of those simple folks, and with having to go to a job and live in a house and cart around and slather sunscreen on a rugrat, I have fully turned into one of those people I never used to understand. And I'm OK with that. It is what it is. And before I know it, what is will be ten feet of snow and I'll be cursing yet another season. But only just a little, I don't like to waste too much time bitching about things I can't control. I'd rather save that energy for applying my various salves and yelling at neighborhood ruffians.

Anyway. This song brings me back to a hot, brief summer of my early childhood. This video I found of it lends credence to my theory that life is no more or less astounding at any given time, it just shows up in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment