Monday, July 26, 2010

The Floodgates

I HAVE SO MUCH TO TELL YOU.

For nearly a decade I've been writing in a locked, private online diary (it's in the vault for good now). I updated that thing just about every day, and it changed my life in so many ways, from reinvigorating my love of writing to allowing me to become part of an amazing community. Then I had a baby.

He will be three months old tomorrow and he is a dream, clearly the best decision my husband and I have ever made together. But as you may know, caring for even the most brilliant and handsome newborns leaves little time to jump on a keyboard. Naturally, this is when all the major, reportable stuff of life happens. So after the initial blur of adding "mama" to my resume, I began to really, really miss writing. My maternity leave's over now (more on this later - it's still sort of new and bittersweet), and one huge advantage of working outside the home is that I'm able to take a lunch break. Oh the luxury of two hands, a computer and a whole free hour!

I consider writing necessary to my very being, and while I have several fiction projects going on (and on and on...) I've gotten mighty used to an open forum on which to blabber about my every-day-ness. So that's what this is all about. I get my writing fix, and the thought that someone may read it helps keep me sort of accountable when I otherwise wouldn't be writing. I'm not saying I won't use this as a platform for bragging about my kid, but it won't be just that.

As first entries go it's a weak introduction, but if I thought about it too long I'd probably never get started.

Oh, and hello there.

7 comments:

  1. Yay I get to be the first person to comment. Welcome, welcome! Wow...crazy...I'll have to think about how best to sign here when I want to comment in the future: with my 1st name? with the username you've always known me by? or using my blogger identity developed to comment on blogger friends who require a google/blogger account to sign with. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a great introduction. I'm happy to be a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have another home on the internet, and even more glad that I know about it. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blabber. I think that may be evident by my own blog, though. And so I'm not littering all your posts with comments...that boppy story made my stomach turn a little. That kind of also makes my stomach turn. It's so good to have something of substance to read. Wow, I sound like a jerk. Anyway, I'm glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to following your blog. I hope your transition back to work is going well. I have to say, I LOVE being a stay-at-home-mom, but felt a twinge of envy when reading about your truly luxurious lunch breaks! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there :) Glad to see you writing here and looking forward to reading more! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah ha! Awesome, chica.

    ReplyDelete