Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pop Pop Pop Music

Pop Music Obsessions, Summer 2013 Edition
(Note: most of these songs are not strictly new, I just happen to be into them right now.)

"I Love It" by Icona Pop



I first heard this song in the "Hannah does coke" episode of "Girls" and it stuck with me. This song is a feeling, a moment, a fist pumping in the air. It's energy. It's sonic summer.

"Come and Get It" by Selena Gomez



I know. But come on, it's great. I'm struck by how mature her voice is, too. None of that baby fakeness. Selena, drop the Biebs for good and let's hang out.

"Fuckin' Problems" by A$AP Rocky featuring 20 other dudes



This is so catchy, but also kind of horrifying. On one hand, how do you not love the lyric "I love bad bitches that's my fuckin' problem, and yeah I like to fuck I got a fuckin' problem" in its poetic simplicity? At the same time, how do you live in a world where being called a bad bitch is a compliment? And how can Rocky be such a beautiful looking person with that grill? And then you have Kendrick Lamar, who I could listen to all the time? But then... Drake? The conflict, the conflict.

Palate cleanser: "Q.U.E.E.N" by Janelle Monae featuring Erykah Badu



This speaks for itself in its amazingness.  "I'm cutting up, don't cut me down." If I ever walk into a club again, this is what will be playing in my head.

"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke 



I can't say enough about this song. I love it so much I don't care how dumb the lyrics are. Or how embarrassingly bad the video is. A song this genius gets a pass from me. Plus Pharrell, always Pharrell.

It's hard being a feminist and liking mainstream music, y'all. I don't always feel good about what I like, but I can't help what speaks to me. Most of the time I just don't sing along. Not a perfect solution, but it's summertime and what can you do.

Have fun getting these out of your head!

No comments:

Post a Comment